Are these prices sustainable?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
laxcardgeek
(@laxcardgeek)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

We've seen prices for lacrosse cards skyrocket recently. The most recent and most notable to me is the $160 sales price for a 2010 UD World of Sports Gary Gait. The card features the iconic Air Gait image, but is otherwise a common base card. Is this the new norm or will things settle and prices fall?

IMO, we are still in the infancy stages of the lacrosse card genre becoming popular. A lot of the people that are now showing interest and collecting seem to be longtime lax fans, but are generally new to card collecting. I expect prices to remain strong and grow as more people learn about the NLL and PLL, but I also expect some of these shocking outlier sales to dwindle as people become more knowledgeable about the hobby.  

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them!

Twitter - @TalesfromtheAFL
Looking for Brodie Merrill and Wes Berg cards

jpotter321
(@jpotter321)

Great Question!

I think PLL cards are in a unique spot where fans are getting in early with the cards. I imagine the crazy prices will die down at some point, but it depends how much Topps and other card companies are willing to invest in the sport. 

I am excited for what Topps will be doing next for the PLL and helping the sport grow. 

ReplyQuote
PShore15
(@pshore15)

It's fun to think about. I'm in no way an expert, but I think there are two things at play here:

1- Non-lacrosse fans looking at any card for a new flip. When everyone is trying to buy and sell the same Luka Doncic or Mac Jones or Mike Trout cards, it's hard to stand out. So while those cards are valuable, having something new and different to offer could help sales. It is also beneficial that you won't break the bank buying the new PLL cards when they are offered by Topps and the PLL.

2- Lack of cards available. I feel like many people that have collected lacrosse cards are lacrosse fans and possibly even kids. Selling the cards isn't something they are looking to do. Therefore, there just aren't as many cards available; I know I saw one Kai Iwamato auto from the 2019 Parkside set, waited too long to act on it, it sold, and I have never seen one since. Since there aren't as many cards available, the price is going up because they aren't as common as everyone having one, so finding it for .99 and free shipping on eBay isn't easy.

ReplyQuote
laxcardgeek
(@laxcardgeek)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@PShore15 - I was thinking about your second point and can see how it factored into the recent Gary Gait sales. Aside from his 92-93 STV/Nastasi rookie cards (which are skyrocketing), his other cards are primarily league issues that are very difficult to obtain. Lax fans wanting a Gary Gait card see a card recognizing arguably Gait's most iconic play (Air Gait) and that his cards don't pop up for sale often and are overvaluing the World of Sports card.

BTW, I have two spare Kai Iwamoto auto cards, if you are interested in a trade.

ReplyQuote
Maxwell_Laxwell
(@maxwell_laxwell)

I was wondering, since I am someone who wants to complete a set of the nastasi cards, do you think the prices of $20 a card are sustainable? And if so, should I buy right now? Or do you think I should wait for the prices will drop again to $5-7 per card? I am really debating this myself, as I do not want the prices to climb even more.

ReplyQuote
Lax22
(@lax22)
Eminent Member

@maxwell_laxwell Hi there, I saw that you have STX Nastasi 92-93 card's, I have about 5 or 6 card's I'm looking for to complete my set, I'm willing to buy them off you, my email is seth25berman@yahoo.com for further details, the card's are #2. #24, 26, 27, 66 and the Paul Gait rookie card to complete my set. Please let me know if you are interested in selling those card's.

Thank you, 

Seth

ReplyQuote
Maxwell_Laxwell
(@maxwell_laxwell)

@lax22 No, I don't have any of the Nastasi cards yet, I was wondering if the ebay prices right now would justify buying a full set for myself.

ReplyQuote
Lax22
(@lax22)
Eminent Member

@maxwell_laxwell ok no worries, I must of read it wrong, yeah buying a set card by card is very expensive, varies on the price per card from the seller or if the seller's have the cards your looking for. I wish you luck on your search. 

ReplyQuote
laxcardgeek
(@laxcardgeek)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Honestly, I think that these prices cold be staying and even rising. The PLL getting the ESPN deal is huge for putting lacrosse in front of sports fans. I think that could continue to drive prices up.

ReplyQuote
TwoHandScoop
(@twohandscoop)

As a noob to this hobby, I will admit I have overpaid on a number of cards, which I realize now as I become more familiar with what I'm actually doing.  However, the market is determining the prices, and it's a FOMO situation where if you don't get the ones you want now, you may not see them listed again.

I also just started the Nastasi set, and was getting cards for $4-5 each as recently as a couple week ago, including 3 full team sets for $50/each, but now they are being listed in singles for $20/each.  So I'm in that same boat with you Max.

I am enjoying trading with the people here and on twitter by far than buying cards I like on eBay, that's for sure.  I finally catalogued everything to date and am updating my other thread with my full collection.

ReplyQuote
fromthebenchyt
(@fromthebenchyt)

I think for old stuff that probably wasn't well kept or highly printed, that stuff can justify the pricing. The parallels for the newer sets only being to /99 at the highest for still a very small set of only 55 cards. We're still a long way behind the prices of what low numbered Herbert, Mahomes, Luka, Ja, etc go for from a flag ship product like Prizm.

ReplyQuote
Share: